Want to do your graduation from a top-rated university? If yes, you can opt to study in Canada after the 12th. Suppose you want to know how to read.

Often students are confused after the completion of their class 12th. The crucial period is when the students must choose the careers and subjects they want to pursue. 

On the other hand, some students are focused and know their goals. Guidance is the best solution for students who can do wonders for them. Studying abroad is another feature that they consider. There are options available to Study in Canada after 12th grade.

Why Study in Canada After the 12th?

After completing 12th grade, studying in Canada offers numerous benefits and opportunities for international students. 

Here are some compelling reasons to consider studying in Canada after the 12th:

Quality Education: 

Canada is known for its high-quality education system, with world-renowned universities and colleges that offer excellent academic programs and cutting-edge research opportunities.

Diverse Range of Programs: 

Canadian institutions provide various courses and programs, allowing students to pursue their academic interests and career goals.

Welcoming and Safe Environment: 

Canada is recognized for its welcoming and inclusive society. As an international student, you will be embraced in a safe and multicultural environment, making adapting and feeling at home easier.

Post-Graduation Work Opportunities: 

After completing their studies, international students in Canada may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This permit allows graduates to gain work experience in Canada for up to three years, providing valuable exposure to the job market.

Pathway to Permanent Residency: 

Canada offers various immigration pathways for international students to obtain permanent residency, making it an attractive option for those seeking to build a long-term future in the country.

Research and Innovation: 

Canada is at the forefront of research and innovation, with opportunities for students to engage in groundbreaking research projects and collaborate with world-renowned researchers.

English-French Bilingualism: 

Canada is a bilingual country with English and French as its official languages. Studying in Canada provides an excellent opportunity to improve language skills in either or both languages.

Quality of Life: 

Canada consistently ranks high in global quality of life indices, offering a high standard of living, healthcare, and a safe student environment.



What are the minimum marks required in 12th for further studies in Canada?

Candidates who wish to study in Canada should pass the eligibility requirement. Each university or college will have its requirements and eligibility criteria for the programs offered. Below mentioned is the eligibility required to study in Canadian Universities:

For the undergraduate and Bachelor courses:

  • The aspirant can give TOEFL exam, and the score should be at least 213, or
  • IELTS exam test score should be band 6.0
  • 70% or above is the minimum percentage required for Canada after the 12th.

Hence the 12th mark for study in Canada should meet the requirements of Canadian Universities. They require a minimum of 70% marks in 12th for Canada. This is the percentage required for a Canada study visa.

For pursuing studies in Canada after the 12th, the aspirant needs 75% marks aggregate with 75% marks in Maths. But some universities even accept 60-70% marks. Admission is approved based on the marks obtained in the respective subject, and the subjects also play a vital role. The scores of English proficiency tests like IELTS and TOEFL are also considered for pursuing higher studies in Canada.



Documents Required to Study in Canada After 12th

When applying to study in Canada after the 12th grade, you will typically need the following documents:

Academic Transcripts: Official transcripts or mark sheets from high school or secondary education demonstrating your academic performance.

English Language Proficiency Test Scores: Most Canadian institutions require international students to provide English language proficiency scores, such as IELTS, TOEFL, etc.

Letter of Acceptance: A formal letter of acceptance from the Canadian educational institution you plan to attend.

Passport: A valid passport with an expiry date beyond your planned stay in Canada.

Visa Application Forms: Completed application forms for a study permit (student visa) through the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Financial Documents: Proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation.



Study in Canada after 12th Commerce:

Students who have Commerce as their subject in class 12th are exposed to great options in Canada to pursue their studies. Suggested universities offering Commerce after the 12th are:

  • University of Calgary
  • British Columbia University
  • Ontario Institute of Technology University
  • Lakehead University
  • University of Guelph
  • Seneca College

Study Abroad after 12th Commerce in Canada:

A list of courses in Canada that Commerce enthusiasts can pick after finishing their class 12th is mentioned below:

  • Economics: Micro and Macro
  • Accounting
  • Finance
  • Marketing
  • Human resource
  • Mathematics

After 12 Commerce studies in Canada:

Different Commerce programs can be chosen at the colleges in Canada

  • Business Administration (BBA)
  • Business Management (BBM)
  • Law Degree Programmes (LLB)
  • Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
  • Retail Management
  • Hotel Management
  • Architecture

Visa Requirements to Study in Canada After 12th

To obtain a study permit (student visa) for Canada, you must meet the requirements set by the Canadian government. Generally, you will need the following:

Proof of Acceptance: A Letter of Acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada.

Proof of Sufficient Funds: Evidence that you can financially support yourself during your study period.

Medical Examination: In some cases, a medical exam may be required to ensure good health.

Police Clearance Certificate: Some applicants may need to provide a police clearance certificate to prove their good character.

Passport and Photographs: A valid passport and passport-sized photographs.

Visa Application Form: Completed study permit application form and the required processing fee.



Opportunities to study in Canada after 12th Commerce without Maths:

Canadian colleges and universities can easily offer several job-oriented courses to Indian students who have completed class 12th Commerce without Maths. 

The basic requirement to apply for these courses is:

  • The student should be 12th pass
  • The score required English tests like IELTS or TOEFL

UG courses in Accounting & Finance, Economics- Micro & Macro, Costing, HRM, and Marketing & Business Administration are available to pursue Commerce without Maths.

Study in Canada class 12th Non-Medical:

Opportunities are lined up for 12th non-medical aspirants, like Diplomas in Canadian Universities. Some of the courses are:

  1. Civil Engineering
  2. Mechanical Engineering
  3. Automotive Engineering
  4. Computer Engineering
  5. Electronics & Communication
  6. Electrical Engineering
  7. Architectural Engineering
  8. Aeronautics Engineering

Study in Canada after 12th Medical:

Accuracy in studies for Medical students is a must, and several Universities in Canada are engaged in offering a plethora of courses to the students:

  • Associate of Science in Biology
  • Chemical Laboratory Technician
  • Practical Nursing
  • Bio-Technology Industrial Microbiology Dental Hygiene- Fast Track
  • Practical Nursing (4 mth pre-health certificate)
  • Pharmaceutical and Food Science Technology
  • Veterinary Technician
  • Anthropology
  • Food & Nutrition Management
  • Criminology 



Study in Canada after 12th Arts:

The vast variety of courses is available for students pursuing studies in Canada after 12th Arts. Here are some of the courses in Canada after the 12th.

Some of the top universities offering the courses which are mentioned below:

  • Bachelor of Arts in English, Literature and Creative Writing, Psychology, History, Journalism and Mass Communication, Economics, Sociology
  • Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance, Economics, or Accounting
  • Hotel Management
  • Fine Arts
  • Law Courses (integrated courses are also available)
  • Business
  • Retail management
  • Fashion or Interior Design
  • Travel and Tourism management
  • Game or Graphic design
  • Journalism and Mass Communication
  • Journalism and Political Science
  • Philosophy
  • Sociology
  • History
  • Education
  • Travel and tourism management

Study in Canada after 12th Science:

  • E/B. Tech
  • Sc
  • BCA (IT and Software)
  • Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch)
  • Sc (IT and Software)
  • MBBS
  • Pharm
  • Post Basic B.Sc.Nursing
  • Sc in Design
  • BSc in Hospitality and Travel  

Top Universities where one can study in Canada after 12th Arts without IELTS:

  • Memorial University
  • Concordia University
  • University of Winnipeg
  • University of Regina
  • Brock University
  • Carleton University
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Seneca College, Toronto
  • Okanagan College
  • Cambrian College

Study in Canada after 12th BBA Management Courses:

  • Banking and Insurance
  • Healthcare Business
  • Event Management
  • International Management
  • Aviation Management
  • Tourism and Travel Management
  • Bachelor of Management Studies



Study in Canada After 12th: Scholarships Available

Studying in Canada can be a great opportunity, with many scholarships available for international students after 12th grade. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, here are some scholarships that might be available for students who want to study in Canada after completing their secondary education. 

However, please note that the availability of these scholarships can change, and it’s recommended to check directly with the institution or scholarship provider for the most current information.

Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships

This scholarship program at the University of Toronto is intended for outstanding international students. The scholarship covers four years of tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support.

Humber College International Entrance Scholarships

Humber College in Toronto offers full and partial renewable tuition scholarships for new international undergraduate students beginning classes in September and January each year.

York University International Student Scholarship Program

International students at York University in Toronto can apply for full scholarships worth CAD$60,000-$100,000 for a four-year degree program.

University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students

UBC recognizes the academic achievement of outstanding students worldwide by devoting more than $30 million annually to awards, scholarships, and other forms of financial support for international undergraduate students.

The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships

The University of Manitoba offers scholarships to international students pursuing postgraduate programs (Master and Ph.D.). Ph.D. students will receive a fellowship valued at $18,000, while Master’s students will receive a fellowship valued at $14,000.

Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships

Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are open to international students who want to pursue their doctoral studies at Canadian universities. To work in Canada, designated learning institutions (DLIs) require students to hold a valid study permit and enroll full-time. To work in Canada, designated learning institutions (DLIs) require students to hold a valid study permit and enroll full-time.

Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships

This scholarship is for international students who wish to pursue their doctoral studies at Canadian universities. The scholarship covers tuition and living expenses.



Canada Study Visa requirements after the 12th:

Students who want to pursue study in Canada must have the right documents. Also, the aspirant must satisfy an officer that they will leave the country after the period authorized for their stay. 

They will not intervene with the conditions of admission. They should also not belong to a category of people inadmissible to Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

  • The person should have a letter of acceptance from an educational establishment.
  • Should have the funds to pay for the tuition and accommodation
  • Should possess sound health
  • No criminal record and should be law-abiding
  • Should not be the cause of insecurity or threat to Canada
  • The application form should be complete with all the required documents in place.




1. How much gap is acceptable for study in Canada after the 12th?

Students willing to Study in Canada after 12th grade require careful planning and consideration, especially regarding the acceptable gap between completing high school and enrolling in a Canadian educational institution. 
The maximum allowable time off between school years in Canada is elaborated upon below.

Undergraduate Programs:
After high school, many Canadian universities and colleges require a two-year wait for undergraduate applicants.  High school graduates who want to study in Canada should apply within two years of graduation. It is important to remember that each university or college may have its acceptable gap policy, so check with the specific institution to ensure compliance.

Postgraduate Programs:
Canadian postgraduate students have more leeway in education gaps. Applying to postgraduate programs after 5 years is usually allowed. Again, check with the institutions because policies vary.

2. Can I work while I study in Canada after the 12th?

After 12th grade, international students in Canada with a study permit and DLI enrollment can work. According to the Canadian government, students can gain work experience, finance, and skills by working part-time while studying.

International students can work 40 hours per week during breaks like winter and summer. This aids school-work balance. Retail, hospitality, food services, administrative, and other jobs are part-time. Many universities employ international students. Canada’s co-op (work-integrated learning) and internship programs give students real-world experience in their field. These programs may require a work permit and offer a more immersive, longer-term work experience.

3. What is the application process for studying in Canada after the 12th?

Studying in Canada after the 12th grade involves a series of steps and preparations. Here’s an elaboration on the application process:

Research and Choose a Suitable University and Course:
Consider the university’s ranking, location, curriculum, faculty, campus facilities, and career-related programs and opportunities. Select one or two universities that meet your criteria.

Review Admission Requirements:
Check the university and course admission requirements. Each institution has academic and language requirements for international students. IELTS and TOEFL are typical language tests.  

Complete the Online Application Form:
Fill out the online application after creating an account or logging in. The application form requires personal information, educational background, course preferences, and other university-required documents.

Gather and Upload Necessary Documents:
Prepare the application documents, which may include academic transcripts and certificates, language proficiency test scores, standardized test scores, Statement of Purpose (SOP) or Letter of Intent, letters of recommendation, passport copy, or other identification documents, and scan or digitize and upload them to the university’s online application portal.

Pay Application Fee:
The university and number of programs you apply to determine the fee. Be sure to pay the application fee on time.

Await Admission Decision:
After submitting your application and all required documents, you must wait for the university’s admission decision. After processing, you will receive an email or notification.

Apply for a Study Permit and Visa:
If accepted by a Canadian university, you can apply for a study permit and student visa.  The study permit is your official Canadian study permit. 

Prepare for Departure:
After receiving your study permit and visa, you can start planning your trip to Canada.  Travel, stay, and learn about the university’s orientation and registration.

4. Can I stay in Canada after graduation?

The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) program lets Canadian graduates work in Canada. The PGWP allows international students who completed a full-time Canadian program to work in Canada for a limited time.  

Eligibility Criteria: 
The PGWP requires the completion of a full-time program at a Canadian DLI. A diploma, degree, or certificate was required for the eight-month program.

Duration of PGWP
The Post-Graduation Work Permit lasts as long as your study program:

Less than 8 months: Not eligible for PGWP.

Between 8 to 2 years: PGWP valid for a length equivalent to the duration of the program.

Longer than 2 years: PGWP may be issued for up to 3 years.

Applying for PGWP: After receiving your official transcript or a letter from your school confirming program completion, you must apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit within 180 days.  To stay legal in Canada, apply before your study permit expires.

Working with PGWP: You can work full-time, part-time, or self-employed in Canada with your PGWP. Open work permits allow you to work for any employer. Your PGWP lets you work in any field and switch jobs.

Canadian Experience Class (CEC): PGWP work experience can qualify you for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) immigration program. Working in Canada can help you get permanent residency.

5. How can I fund my studies in Canada?

International students may worry about funding their Canadian education. Here are some details on Canadian education funding:

Scholarships and Bursaries: 
Scholarships and bursaries are financial awards that do not require repayment. Outstanding international students can receive academic, extracurricular, leadership, or other scholarships at Canadian universities and colleges.

Part-Time Work: 
International students with valid study permits can work 20 hours per week during the academic session and 40 hours per week during scheduled breaks. Part-time work can help you pay for living expenses and study. On-campus jobs allow students to work and study.

Teaching or Research Assistantships (Graduate Students): 
Graduate students, especially those in master’s or doctoral programs, may work as TAs or RAs. While gaining academic and research experience, these positions usually pay a stipend or salary.

Education Loans: 
Canadian banks offer education loans if you need more money. Loan terms, interest rates, and repayment options may vary for international students. Before borrowing, carefully review the loan terms and financial implications.

Governments, employers, and other organizations may sponsor students to study in Canada. Sponsorships may cover tuition, living expenses, or both. Sponsorship terms and conditions must be followed.

Personal Savings: 
Before coming to Canada, save money for housing, books, and other necessities. Savings can cushion the financial impact of moving abroad.

Work-Integrated Learning Programs: 
Canadian co-op and internship programs offer work-integrated learning. Such programs can provide work experience and income during your studies. 

6. How long are Bachelor’s Degree Programs in Canada?

Full-time bachelor’s degree programs in Canada last four years. Students will complete their major’s credit hours or courses in four years. Many professional careers and graduate programs require a bachelor’s degree.
Most Canadian undergraduate programs last four years. Several factors can affect duration:

Program Structure: 
Some bachelor’s degree programs have unique structures that affect duration. Internships, co-ops, and study abroad may extend the program.

Part-Time vs. Full-Time: 
Part-time students may take fewer courses per semester, extending their degree.

Double Majors or Minors: 
Some students choose double majors or minors, which add courses and lengthen their degrees.

Prior Credits or Transfer Credits: 
Students with transfer credits or prior credits may graduate faster.

Intersessions and Summer Terms: 
Enrolling in intersessions or summer terms can allow students to take additional courses and potentially complete their degrees earlier.

7. Can I take a gap year before starting university in Canada?

Before starting university in Canada, you can take a gap year. Many Canadian universities and colleges understand that students may want to take a break after high school. Gap years are great for personal growth, life experiences, and non-academic interests.

Traveling, volunteering, working, interning, community service, or other meaningful activities are options for gap years. These experiences can help you gain valuable skills, a broader perspective on life, and character, which can be useful when you start university.

After your gap year, clearly state your plans when applying to Canadian universities. Admissions officers appreciate gap year students’ diverse experiences and maturity.
Mention your planned gap year in your application and briefly describe what you did. Showcase your life lessons. If possible, relate your gap year to your field of study or academic and career goals. Demonstrate how your time off has benefited you. Discuss how your gap year activities helped you develop leadership, adaptability, or a global perspective. Admissions officers like well-rounded applicants.

8. Do Canadian universities offer on-campus accommodation?

Students can stay on campus at most Canadian universities.  Residence halls or dormitories are these on-campus housing facilities. Living on campus offers convenience, access to campus resources, and community with other students. It is convenient and immersive for university life.

Most university campuses have many private housing options for students who cannot find on-campus housing or prefer off-campus living. Off-campus housing listings, renting advice, and roommate matching are available from many universities.

Living on or near campus enhances your university experience by allowing you to participate in campus activities, access academic resources, and make friends. Whether you live on or off campus, planning and applying for housing early will increase your chances of finding a suitable option.

9. Can I transfer to a Canadian university from a university in another country?

Transferring to a Canadian university from a foreign university is common.  Many Canadian universities have transfer policies for international students. These policies aim to facilitate a smooth transition for students who wish to continue their education in Canada.

1. Start with Canadian universities and programs. Check transfer admission requirements at universities offering your program.
2. Credit transfer, GPA, and course prerequisites vary by university. It is crucial to carefully review these requirements to understand how your previous coursework will be evaluated and how it matches your desired Canadian program.
3. Contact admissions or international student services for transfer information after choosing a university and program. They help with deadlines, applications, and documents.
4. If your previous degree was not taught in English, you may need to take IELTS or TOEFL to prove your English proficiency.
5. Study permits, and student visas may be needed to transfer to a Canadian university.  

10. Can my family accompany me if I study in Canada?

Yes, your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children may accompany you to Canada if you are an international student. The Canadian government allows international students’ families to study with them. 
Here’s what you need to know:

Spouse or Common-Law Partner: 
Your spouse or common-law partner may get an open work permit in Canada.  An open work permit lets your partner work in Canada without a job offer. This permit usually lasts as long as your study permit. 

Dependent Children: 
Your dependent children may also be able to accompany you to Canada. They may be eligible to study in one of Canada’s primary or secondary schools while they pursue their studies.